We stand in solidarity with black and indigenous folks today and every day
In the wake of the deaths of George Floyd, Regis Korchinski-Paquet and the countless other black and indigenous folks murdered by the police, the frank theatre wants to express its solidarity with the protestors and organizers fighting to bring justice and safety to these communities.
As an organization led by a queer artist of colour, we are invested in dismantling white supremacy, and employing QTBIPOC (queer, trans, black, indigenous, people of colour). We are grateful for the artistic contributions that black artists continue to make to theatre, including our mainstage show last season, She Mami Wata & the Pussy WitchHunt by d’bi young anitafrika. We are also grateful for the black trans activists and activists of colour who fought for our freedoms during the Stonewall Riots. As a queer community, we need to examine our privileges and constantly strive to do better to support black and indigenous communities.
We are asking that our supporters donate, sign petitions, protest (while respecting the health of those around you) and educate themselves on anti-black violence and police brutality both in Turtle Island (Canada) and North America. Here is a non-exhaustive list of resources:
- Justice for Regis Fund
- Black in BC Community Support Fund for COVID-19
- Hogan’s Alley Society
- Black Lives Matter Vancouver
- Video project where 100% of ad revenue goes to Black Lives Matter
- Huffposts’ full list of Black Organizations And Anti-Racist Groups Canadians Can Support Now
- List of places to donate compiled by Black Lives Matter (US)
PETITIONS & LETTERS:
- List of petitions to sign compiled by Black Lives Matter (US)
- Template for a letter you can send to defund the Vancouver Police Department
- Policing Black Lives by Robyn Maynard
- Queer Returns: Essays on Multiculturalism, Diaspora, and Black Studies by Rinaldo Walcott
- Rachel Cargle’s YouTube Channel: Public Address On Revolution: Revolution Now
- Educational resources from Black Lives Matter (US)
- Anti-racism resources for white people compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein
With strength and solidarity,
the frank theatre company.