the frank theatre company, the West Coast's professional queer theatre company, is pleased to invite play submissions from across Canada for Clean Sheets 2014. DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 30, 2014.
Now in its 6th year, the 2014 Clean Sheets is the frank’s renowned national play-reading series of new queer-themed plays in development. We select 2-4 plays and pair the playwrights up with Vancouver’s top dramaturges, who develop the play with them for a period of three months leading up to a workshop and public reading in Vancouver, presented by the Queer Arts Festival at the Roundhouse Performance Centre in late July/early August.
Curated by playwright and frank Artistic Producer C. E. Gatchalian, Clean Sheets has showcased the work of some of Canada’s leading dramatists, including Jan Derbyshire, Darrah Teitel, Evan Tsitsias, Lawrence Aronovitch and Deidre “D-Lishus” Walton.
- Plays must be at least 45-minutes long and written in English
- Plays submitted must not have previously received a professional full production; plays that have previously received professional workshops and readings are acceptable
- Playwrights must be Canadian citizens or residing in Canada
To apply ONLINE please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Payment/Donation of the $25 entry fee via Paypal.
To apply by MAIL, please send all of the above and a cheque for $25 to
the frank theatre company
Suite 220, 111 West Hastings St.
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H4
Submissions must be received by April 30, 2014.
The objectives of Clean Sheets are:
- To promote and nurture the development of Queer-Canadian playwrights and original work
- To give theatrical form to issues that deal specifically with the lives of bisexuals, gay men, lesbians, and transgendered people
- To promote, through theatrical expression, compassion, empathy, and understanding
Note to out-of town playwrights selected for Clean Sheets:
While at this point we cannot guarantee full coverage of either travel or accommodation, we will make every effort to assist you with both.